5 Tips on Creating the Perfect Resume
So, you want to apply for a job - but you haven't written a resume in years! Not to worry... we here at OPS Staffing are looking for good, qualified candidates to fill top positions in the restoration and construction industry.
However, we also understand that even though you may have all the qualifications we are looking for, sometimes you need a little help getting things together before that first job interview. Namely, your resume and cover letter. To help, here are 5 tips on creating the perfect resume.
- Keep your resume to no more than two pages... preferably just ONE page.
- Your name should be BIG & BOLD at the top of the page, with your phone number and email address just below it.
- Long gone are the days of "Objective" at the top of the page. Everyone knows your objective is to GET THE JOB! - Rather than "Objective", write "Summary" and summarize your job-related experience in 3 or 4 sentences in the first section on your resume, highlighting your accomplishments.
- Use key words that are used in the job ad itself. No longer are HR reps shuffling through thousands of resumes. They only look at the few resumes that are filtered for them by robots, which pick and choose resumes based on the keywords they are programmed to find. (which so happen to be the same keywords that are often used in the job ads themselves)
- Highlight what you have done for a company. For example: If you are in Business Development, you might say, "Generated over $500,000 for XYZ company within the past 6 months."